Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hills Like White Elephants”

1) THe setting being at a train spation is imporatant because the two characters are choosing where they want to go.. I think it is meaningful because it is almost to me like this is where the journey after a seperation will begin. It makes me connect to it. IT isnt a story about a journey its almost as if I see the story being written from the begining. The story is all about choices and choosing between to extreme ends. Like a train you chooce to go North or south east or west. I think of a train station you choose if you want to go on the E train for example but your decision isnt done now do you need to go on the E train  going north or the one going down. Just like her choices Does she want to go  to the hills or the platform. Have an abortion and going your seperate way.... like what are you gonna do next. the Story doesnt say it but i feel like the conversation while its going on in each of the characters head they are figuring out if they are going to be together or go their seperate ways, because they start to drink together but finish drinking sperately like they are done being one.

2)  The point of view is an objective point of view. This makes it that i am unable to answer how the narator feels about these characters because he leaves it to my choosing. It is like he write it sdo I feel like I am in the same train station and I am viewing and hearing these people. I decide who they are how they feel and why they say what they say. Usually The author tells me if the main character is happy or sad like the well lighted place story we know the old man is lonely he tells us. But with this story I choose as if I think if I was her in this situation based on what she is saying I would feel like this. Its written in a way like  whehn I describe each character  it will be different from when my classmate will describe the same character because we are choosing the mind, the inner thoughts of each character.

3) His style if really interesting to me because I feel like he leads me t o beleive something that it isnt. while I read the story im trying to figure out what is going on. I am not confused with what is going on but I am seeing what are they really talking about, do they wanna go together or alone, no thei rare talking about an abortion, they are talking about a place , no they are talking baout their relationship. My mind runs wild trying to figure out ok where is this story going not because im bored like blah blah blah get to the point but more are in  I wanna find out more like i am peeling on something in thin layers.

4) When you read his bio it makes complete sense how he write. For example  I feel as if he is the deaf man . After being married 4 times I can sense where the deaf man loneliness comes from. not saying he wasnt a happy man but after deing wounded in the war, living during a dark time in history, traveling constantly, and having 4 wives must have left him lonely. Just as lonely as the deaf man in the strory "A Clean Well-lighted place". Now I can see why he would write the " Hills like elephants story" because of all of his travels, he had to choose where to start. The choosing if they will have an abortion or not is  making a choice about a unexpected baby like when he got wounded and came home unexceptedly. The choosing of going their seperate ways is like all of his wives and divorce.  I feel like he writes his stories based on his life as if he thinks of an experience like his thoughts when he was deciding on doing to Spain or Paris or the war and he wrote the story "hills like elephants" talking about choices we face at times in our lives.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment